On 14 July 2021, the Minister of Commerce and Industry issued Ministerial Decision No. (46) of 2021 regarding setting the maximum rates for leasing hotel rooms and its kind during the period of hosting the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 tournament. We understand by “and its kind” that this refers to hotel apartments. The Decision sets the maximum rates during the period commencing on 1 November and ending on 21 December 2022. These rates apply to 80% of the total number of rooms in all hotel establishment and its kind.
This Decision comes as the State of Qatar continues with the final preparation for hosting the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, which is being held for the first time in the Middle East region. The Decision appears to be an attempt to prevent price gouging which could arise due to the anticipated increase in demand for accommodation during the tournament.
Pursuant to the tables annexed to the Ministerial Decision, the set maximum rates are as follows:
* 464 QR for regular hotel apartments;
* 537 QR for regular luxury hotel apartments;
* 1222 for special luxury hotel apartments;
* 296 QR for hotels holding one and two stars rating;
* 438 QR for hotels holding three stars rating;
* 482 QR for hotels holding regular four stars rating;
* 886 QR for hotels holding special four stars rating;
* 911 QR for hotel holding regular five stars rating;
* 1488 QR for hotels holding special five stars rating;
* 2133 QR for hotel holding luxury five stars rating; and
* 2801 QR for hotels resorts holding five stars ratings.
The above set rates are subject to amendment whether for increase or decrease by approval of the Minister of Commerce and Industry based on the requirements for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 tournament.
All hotel establishments and its kind are required to abide by the rates set out in the Ministerial Decision.
The decision and annexed table are available on the following link.
About Al-Ansari & Associates
Al-Ansari & Associates is a leading law firm based in Doha, the State of Qatar. Being the fastest growing firm in the State of Qatar, we are proud to have supported both local and international clients with multi jurisdictional qualified lawyers. The firm’s practice is focused on core areas such as corporate and commercial, Banking and Finance, regulatory and compliance, Labour and Employment, TMT, Intellectual Property and Copyright, Real Estate and Contraction, Energy and Natural Resources, Transport and Infrastructure and Dispute Resolution. Al-Ansari & Associates provides its clients legal expertise with international standards.