COVID-19 Update – Easing Working Hours Measures as of Thursday 4th of June 2020
Since the outbreak of the epidemic of COVID-19, the State of Qatar has been gradually implementing number of precautionary measures that are different in terms of severity depending on the assessment of circumstances related to spreading COVID-19 throughout the State of Qatar. Whereas the number of cases infected with COVID-19 has started to lower down across the country, the government decided to ease certain restrictions that were imposed to stop the spread of COVID-19.
During the 22nd Council of Ministers meeting held on Wednesday 3 June 2020, the Council of Ministers adopted important decisions to ease some of the adopted precautionary measures relating to combating the spread of COVID-19.
What are the new eased measures?
During its last meeting held on Wednesday 3 June 2020, the Council of Ministers decided the following resolutions:
1. With effect from Thursday, June 4, 2020, permitted working hours for commercial and service activities will be from 7 AM to 8 PM Sunday to Thursday. However, the following commercial service activities are exempted from this decision, which means that they may work normally as previously instructed:
A. Outlets selling food products, consumer goods, and subsidized supplies (hypermarkets, supermarkets, and groceries) and shops selling fruit and vegetables,
D. Mobile-App based delivery companies,
E. Petroleum stations and car services,
F. Car maintenance workshops affiliated with agencies,
G. Companies operating in the hospitality sector,
H. Telecommunications companies,
J. Maintenance companies,
K. Restaurants, cafeterias and cafés (coffee shops) that are allowed to deliver or hand over orders to customers outside the business place. However, restaurants and cafés located in malls are exempt from this decision, and are only allowed to process delivery orders. These outlets are prohibited from handing over orders to customers inside the premises,
L. Logistic and Freight companies, and
M. Contracting and engineering companies.
2. The decision to close retail outlets in malls, popular markets and shopping centers remains valid, with the exception of outlets selling food products and pharmacies,
3. The decision to suspend the activities of health clubs and centers, barbershops and beauty salons – including those that offer home services- remains applicable,
4. Sports may be exercised without need to wear face mask and it is not necessary to be practiced in area close to a person’s residence, taking into consideration to avoid gatherings during exercise and to keep safe social distance.
5. Private cars shall not contain more than 4 persons including the driver with exception to families when commuting by cars, and
6. The decision regarding reducing the number of employees who may be carried over by buses to half of the bus capacity is still in place.
All the above- mentioned decision are applicable effectively from Thursday 4 June 2020 till further notice.
For further inquiries on the new measures as well as previous measures that are still applicable, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About Al-Ansari & Associates
Al-Ansari & Associates is a leading law firm based in Doha, the State of Qatar. Being the fastest growing firm in the State of Qatar, we are proud to have supported both local and international clients with multi jurisdictional qualified lawyers. The firm’s practice is focused on core areas such as corporate and commercial, Banking and Finance, regulatory and compliance, Labour and Employment, TMT, Intellectual Property and Copyright, Real Estate and Contraction, Energy and Natural Resources, Transport and Infrastructure and Dispute Resolution. Al-Ansari & Associates provides its clients legal expertise with international standards.